On Saturday, May 26, 2018, around 8:30, per a previously
scheduled appointment, I took my daughter Chaka to City Vet for grooming.
The facility was not open, so we waited outside for about
20 minutes, until they opened the doors around 9 AM.
I was introduced to a Liz, who was supposed to groom Chaka.
Liz asked me if Chaka had been to a groomer before and I told her that Chaka
had been to a groomer before. However, she was too scared at the groomers that
she tore her dew claw. Liz told me that she has lots of experience
grooming Chows and that she can handle Chaka fine.
I gave Liz my Mobile number and insisted that
she call me immediately, should she have any difficulty
grooming Chaka. Then, I was not offered the choice to stay, so I left and went
to get breakfast for my family, at the Starbucks, which is in the same
Strip Mall. I was at Starbucks for about 30 minutes and
since I did not get a phone call from the groomers, I was happy to take my wife
some breakfast home. So, I went home.
When I got home, a few minutes later, the home phone rang,
not my Mobile. Since I was not expecting the groomer to
call my home number, I did not pick-up. However, my wife
realized the call was from the groomer and played the voice message for me
immediately. The message is still on our Answering Machine.
The message indicated that the groomer was having trouble
grooming Chaka and that I needed to come get her. Just to make sure they do not
proceed Chaka grooming further, when they were having
trouble in the first place, I immediately called City Vet to let them know I
was on my way to get Chaka.
At that point, the Manager of the Grooming Department, Anne,
came on the line and said, "I am so sorry, but there has been an
accident". I was thinking that Chaka tore her dew claw again. But, to my
dismay, Anne said, "We are so sorry. Your dog is dead. We tried to save
her, but could not".
Me and my wife were flabbergasted and saddened to hear this
craziness! We were in total shock. I immediately drove to City Vet, where I
was asked to wait in a room to see Anne, the Grooming
Manager. Anne told me that they put 2 or 3 muzzles on Chaka and 2 or 3
groomers, including Anne, had to hold Chaka, for she wasn't having it.
Anne said, "Chaka barrel rolled". We have not
heard the English(?) term, 'barrel rolled', but presumed it meant Chaka tried
to flip about to get away from the tub of water she was forced into.
Our beliefis that
they groomers wanted to make sure they get their $80, put many muzzles on Chaka
and forced Chaka against her will into the tub, where Chaka drowned to her
death in agony.
This terrible act of City Vet, which caused Chaka's death,
is tantamount to Animal Abuse / Murder of an innocent animal.
Chaka, mind you, was a very healthy girl and she had at
least another 8 years of life ahead of her.
Chaka was a shy Chow and was wary of strangers as any decent
dog would be. City Vet killed her,
by employing incompetent employees in their grooming
department, who apparently did not know how to groom a Chow. They should not
have proceeded even an iota, once Chaka showed any
signs of fear and resisted the grooming/bath.
We were offered a necropsy, which I turned down, because I
was in severe shock, heartbroken because of my lovely daughter's death. I did
not want Chaka to be dissected. I felt Chaka had
suffered enough by that point in time.
Knowing Chaka's story, will you want to go to City Vet for Grooming or other services? Please share with pet lovers everywhere. Thank you! Linking with Saturday's Critters.
During our recent R&R in Johnson City, Texas, the cabin where stayed had a loft and a spiral staircase to get to the same. The first two days of our stay there, only the 2-legged family members ventured up to the loft. On day three however, we saw BK go up the stairs and pose valiantly. Rambo did go up the stairs the following day or perhaps even later during the same day, but was too scared to come down the same stairs and so he sat on the bed in the loft and wailed. Until one of us went up and brought him down. Coco (our new Chow daughter) liked to lay on the bed next to the portable AC unit in the bedroom and just chill. Why not? That's what R&R is supposed to be you know? :) Linking with Saturday's Critters. Have a Happy WE! Peace :)
It has been two weeks since we lost Chaka because of some craziness that took place at the City Vet in Flower Mound. This too is part of life. Not easy, but a part of life. Part of the pain that one suffers due to attachment. Fully realizing that attachment causes pain, we took our chances and adopted our new family member, Coco from North Texas Chow Haven, a Chow rescue agency. Coco is 3-5 years old and she is undergoing treatment for Heartworms. We will do everything in our power to give this child a good life. Coco is a joy to be around and loves to sleep, part of which may be due to her medications. The cats are a bit confused (aren't we all), but have accepted their new sister. Coco is exploring, learning and adjusting to her new fur-ever home. We are adjusting to loving her. That's all the news for now from our neck of the woods. Linking with Saturday's Critters. Have a Happy WE! Peace :)
Recently some of the Finches that visit our bird feeder in the front yard have been coming around to the side yard to have some quality time at t he feeder there. May be some of them prefer the solitude. Who knows? The bird photos are very tricky to take when they visit because of the location and the blinds, which if we raise the birds fly away...so, y'all please pardon me for the poorer quality :)
Pictured below are me and my Cat Trainer. Oh no, I am not the Cat Trainer, but my Trainer is a Cat, namely, Rambo. Making sure that I get plenty of exercise and also cheering me along the way.
Enjoy the Memorial Day Weekend, if you observe the holiday.