Trichosanthes cucumerina aka Snake Gourd is a popular indigenous vegetable used in many Indian cuisines. I haven't bought this vegetable in many years and so when I found it at the Indian Supermarket yesterday, I bought 7 pieces. Each one of the pieces I bought was at least a foot long. Actually, that's on the small side for a Snake Gourd.
- 1 Large onion, diced
- 6 curry leaves, whole or shredded
- 7 Red Chilies
- 1 Tbsp chopped ginger
- 1 Tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 Tsp Urad dal
- 5 Tbsp Channa dal (soaked overnight in water)
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 4 Tbsp shredded coconut (fresh/fresh-frozen/dry)
- 6-7 Medium sized Snake Gourds: peeled, diced
- 1 Tbsp of coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp Sambar Powder
The channa dal, soaked overnight, is now nice and tender! Adds a unique flavor to the Snake Gourd Curry!
Snake Gourd, peeled and ready to be diced!
- In a large pan, heat up the coconut oil. Add the mustard seeds, let splutter.
- Turn down the heat to low and add the red chilies, Urad dal, curry leaves and the ginger.
- Next, add the diced onions and cook for a few minutes on medium.
- Add the diced gourd, the channa dal, and the coconut and mix it all together.
- Add the Sambar powder, fresh-ground Black Pepper, Curry powder and a pinch of salt.
- Mix thoroughly!
Bon Appetit' :)