Here is my improvised recipe :)
Cabbage- 1/2 head, shredded
Mustard seeds - 1 Tsp
Urad dal - 1 Tsp
Shredded Coconut - 1/2 cup
Fenugreek seeds - 1 Tsp
Sesame seed oil - 2 Tbsp
Black peppercorns - 2 Tbsp
Cumin seeds - 1 Tsp
Red chillies - 6-8
Dal/Lentils - 2 cups (cooked)
Coconut Milk - 1 can
Asafoetida - a dash
Garnish: chopped curry leaves and cilantro
- In a sauce pan, heat-up the oil. Add the mustard seeds and let them splutter. Turn down the heat to medium or below.
- Add the urad dal, asafoetida and the shredded cabbage. Cover and cook on low heat for 2 minutes.
- Cook the lentils until soft in a pressure-cooker or in a conventional sauce pan.
- In a sauce pan, roast the black peppercorns, fenugreek, cumin, red chilies. You may use a drop or two of oil if you like to roast these. I dry toast them.
- Grind the the ingredients from step 4 and the grated coconut in a blender. Use little water (the mix should be moist/wet but not runny).
- Add the mix from step 5 to the cabbage in the pot, turn-up the heat to medium and cook until the cabbage is cooked, but not mushy!
- Add salt to taste and garnish with cilantro and the chopped curry leaves.
PS. One can eat most of my vegetable stews/curries/chowders by themselves or with rice/chappathi/naan/pita bread!