Here is my recipe for this incredibly easy to prepare chutney!
- Shredded coconut - 2 cups
- Roasted Channa Dal - 1 cup
- Green Chilies - 3
- Tamarind paste - 1 Tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 Tsp
- White lentils - 1 Tsp
- Cashews - 1/3 cup
- Finely chopped Curry leaves - 1 Tbsp
- Finely chopped Cilantro - 1 Tbsp
- Finely chopped Ginger Root - 1 Tbsp
- Ghee (clarified butter) - 1 Tbsp
- Grind ingredients 1-4 in a blender/food processor. Remove from the blender jar and put in a bowl.
- In a small sauce pan, heat-up the ghee.
- When the ghee is hot, add the mustard seeds, asafoetida. Cover immediately, as the mustard seeds will splutter. Turn down/off the heat.
- When the mustard seeds are done poppin', add the cashews, white lentils, ginger root. These ingredients should turn golden brown and not be charred.
- Add the contents from step # 4 to the coconut chutney in the bowl, from step # 1.
- Garnish with Cilantro and add salt to taste!
Bon appetit' :)