Dosai is also called Dosa in certain regions of India.
In order to make Masala Dosai, one needs to prepare the Potato Masala and also prepare the Dosai. While it is not hard to prepare the batter for Dosai, today I took the easy way out and bought the batter. We have a great outfit in DFW that supplies all sorts of batter to the Indian Supermarkets.
If I were to prepare the Dosai batter, this would be my recipe:
Dosai Batter Recipe
Soak 3 cups of rice, 1 tsp of fenugreek, 1 cup of white lentils (urad dal) in water overnight (at least 6 hours). Drain the water and grind/blend into a thick batter in a blender/food processor. Add a pinch of salt to taste.
Potato Masala Recipe
- 3 large potatoes - boiled, skin peeled-off
- Sesame seed oil - 4 Tbsp
- Finely chopped Ginger root - 2 Tbsp
- Finely chopped Curry leaves - 1 Tbsp
- Finely chopped Green Chilies - 1 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 2 Tbsp
- Cashes - 1/4 cup
- Onions - 2 Large - diced
- Turmeric powder - 1 Tsp
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Finely chopped cilantro - 1/4 cup
- Heat-up the oil in a large pan. When the oil is hot, add the curry leaves, asafoetida, ginger, onions and the potatoes. Cook for about 3 minutes. Turn down the heat to medium.
- Add the cashews, turmeric and cook for another 3 minutes on low heat.
- Add the lime juice.
- Garnish with cilantro. Add salt to taste.
- Heat-up a large skillet/griddle. Coat the griddle with butter or ghee or sesame oil.
- Pour 1/2 to 1 cup of batter on the hot skillet and spread the batter evenly over the skillet. Some people prefer spreading the batter thinly. Restaurants do; I don't sweat it too much.
- Pour a tsp of ghee/sesame oil around the edges of the batter.
- Once the edges of the batter start to turn brownish/crisp, carefully turn over the Dosai and cook the other side for a minute or so.
- Once the other side is cooked, the Dosai is ready to be served.
I served the Dosai with Potato Masala tonight. Dosai can be served without Potato Masala as well. In the picture below, you will see that one of the Dosai was stuffed with the Potato Masala and the other two were not!
Pictured below is tonight's dinner: Masala Dosai with Coconut Chutney and Onion Sambar
Bon appetit' :)