Interestingly enough, I knew what I wanted to make, but I didn't know the name of the dish. So, I had to ask my friend's mom (Thanks, Indira amma!) and find out the name of the dish. I knew how to make it, although I didn't know the name of the dish. Go figure :)
- Mung bean - 2 cups
- One Cucumber - diced
- Green chili, deveined, deseeded and diced - 2-4 chilis
- Diced Ginger root - 2 Tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 Tsp
- Urad dal (white lentil) - 1 Tsp
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Finely chopped curry leaves - 1 Tbsp
- Finely chopped cilanto - 2 Tbsp
- Sesame oil - 1 Tsp
- Lemons - 2 (freshly squeezed)
- Soak the mung beans in water overnight. The next day, rinse the mung beans in cold water. Set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, heat up 1 Tsp of Sesame oil. When the oil is hot, drop the mustard seeds in and let them splutter. Let the oil cool a bit. Add the urad dal and asafoetida. Let the urad dal turn brown. Remove from the hot pan and add the contents of the sauce pan to a large bowl.
- Add the mung beans, cucumber, cilantro, ginger, lemon juice to the bowl. Mix thoroughly.
- Add a pinch of salt to taste.